View Single Post
Old 18th May 2013, 14:25

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Saturday - Part 2:

This is what my "Frankenstein" build option looked like before the body shell went on...

And just before I put the shell back on I removed the remaining two seat belt brackets.
( See my previous posts for the reason why they were not practical to use. )

Before:

After:

Then I put the Cordite bodywork back on again to see how it looked.
By this stage I knew it was going to be a long shot for it to work with no problems.
I think the final verdict will be "close, but no cigar".

There is not much room left between the rear body work & the frame underneath...

But the bulk head is currently preventing the rest of the body from going any lower at the front.

This is the gap between the door cut out in the frame & body work now...

And this is how tight it was when I had both parts of the internal frame work in place...

The slope of my drive make the passenger side seem higher than it is.
But this is what the body shell looked like...

The rear wheel arches are back to a much bigger gap...

Which is more like the stance of the AndyP57's Silver Navigator at Stoneleigh.
Clearly the "slammed" look I had without the frame is not "normal"...

Which leads me nicely to...

Rear Suspension - Lowering Block:
My various "mock ups" have shown that the car will look a lot better with the lowering block fitted.
Mister Towed also pointed out the other day that fitting it would also tuck the tyres in under the arches.

So I will have another look at my Haynes manual to see what is involved and give that a go.
Unfortunately most build threads seem to cover "before" & "after", but very little on "during".

So any tips on what to expect / avoid / etc. would be most welcome.

Bulk Head Requirements:
And now the fun really begins as I need to work out the best bulk head arrangement for my kit.
I am going to put a lot of thought into this as I need to get it right.
I think I will end up with a hybrid of frame work and sections of Spitfire panels.

Hump & Frame:
Regardless of what happens with the front bulkhead, the hump is still fouling the frame...

As previously mentioned the door cut out mean the body can not be moved one way or the other.
( See photos above for the tight fit front & back. )
So this is another area to thing about as either the frame or the bodywork will need to be changed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I had to stop work on the car at this point as the sky was getting dark & it felt like rain was coming.
And as I now have two sets of car parts to cover, it is taking me even longer to pack up.

Although typically for the weather at the moment, by time I've written this, the sun is trying to peek through.

I need to do a few domestic chores before I can get out again today & I may have to wait until tomorrow.

So until then, take care, Paul.

PS
You know how you often only know there is a hole in your shoe when you step in a puddle?
Well I found the hole in my glove when I grabbed a slice of metal I had just finished grinding.
As the hot metal was "branding" my finger it was clear where the hole was.