Thread: Adam's Cordite
View Single Post
Old 28th June 2013, 11:17

adam1979 is on a distinguished road

So, potentially a lot of progress this weekend but I fear its all going to be 2 steps forward, one step back (as Paula Abdul would say)...

Both gearboxes are now stripped and I think I have the parts I need to rebuild one mega box over the weekend. With a bit of luck i'll have 4 forward gears and one reverse at the end.

Engine stand has been purchased and an adapter plate been made similar to this one so that I can mount onto the side engine mount. I wasn't too keen to hang 200kg+ on a few 5/16 bolts at the back of the engine!

Whipped the head off my engine in excited anticipation of getting to work on it (forgetting that I had a gearbox in pieces to put back together first). Hmmm, milky oil in a couple of the cam followers and water where it shouldn't be. Not a major issue at the moment as I'm planning to strip most of the engine and replace where necessary. I would like to avoid re-machining and so far it looks slightly feasible as the bores are in very good condition. We'll see what the sump pan reveals tomorrow!

Paul - I don't think the 'cut' is that bad or even necessary. Time will tell when the body finally meets the chassis. Much admiration by the way - building a car outdoors is not something I could imagine entertaining!!!

Anyone got any advice on clearing out the water jacket in the head/block. They are jammed full of crud (perhaps the reason for water where it shouldn't be!!!)