View Single Post
Old 1st July 2013, 17:15

Nike55 is on a distinguished road

Busy Saturday for me. 350 mile round trip to Tribute Automotive's inaugural BBQ event, via Southampton to pick up a spare engine and gearbox (cheers WCA).

'Chargerstang' (Henry) brought his lovely GTO over from Germany and it was much admired;

The spare engine and a gearbox now sit under my workbench and hopefully I'll be rebuilding the engine later this year. The recent purchase of a 1 Ton folding crane specifically for this trip was the only way I could move the engine.

The block weighs 95 kgs, (with pistons and crankshaft in situ)

Cyl heads 15 kgs (each)

Carb manifold (land) 4 kgs

Flywheel 9 kgs.

The gearbox is a lightweight at only 60kgs.....

Unfortunately the engine number does not correspond to anything that I have found on any website (inc Burtonpower). The Scimitar engines started 'SC'.

Most parts are worn and pitted but I will rebuild with a fast-ish road cam or something similar. I'm really looking to maximise the efficiency of the original design rather than go nuts for all out power - if I wanted to do that I'd shove in my XJ6 engine

The gearbox I have is (we believe) from a Cortina - manual, four speed - no overdrive. The spare gearbox came with this little plate:

There have been a few distractions of late, esp toady when this nice Austin Healey rocked up to visit the next door neighbour.. not G46 like in the slightest but no apologies for sharing this: