View Single Post
Old 5th September 2006, 21:35
Enthusiast

AndyDane is on a distinguished road

Moving away from the magazine and publicity discussions for a moment I think the industry as a whole needs to recognise what someone else alluded to a few pages ago - it's a generation thing and tinkering with dirty cars. I'm 32 and have never really had to work on a car. I've had a few cars since I was 18 and have never really got further in than replacing brake discs/pads, alternators, bonnet, etc etc.

There are too many people like me who don't really know anything about cars. I bought a Marlin Sportster and 2 reasons were;
1; Marlin gave me the impression it was a fairly straightforward build
2; to learn more about cars engines etc.

I've now "given up" and am paying Vindicator to finish it for me, not cheap but I still want the car to drive!

I think the industry needs to
be more honest to potential buyers as to exactly what is involved;
create FAR better build manuals;
have far better support services - -i.e. you can ring up and ask stupid questions because you simply don't know without being made to feel a fool.

This isn't a dig at Marlin as they have been very helpful but I can get info targetted more at my level of competence and understanding from forums.

I just think that with modern more reliable cars (I drive a 5 year old 90,000 mile mondeo thats never needed more than a service) manufacturers might need to offer "simpler" solutions

Anyone agree or disagree?
Andy