View Single Post
Old 29th October 2013, 18:05

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viatron View Post
Was going to suggest a zetec as they bolt straight up to a type 9 and can be had brand new in a crate for about £600 to £700. Only issue would be that it would have to be a retro fit after the dvla inspection i think.
Although I'd be tempted by a modern motor and five/six speed box if I ever decided to build a street/race Spyder, I'd be looking for an in-line engine and box from a cheap donor to keep the costs down, very much like Micky1mo is doing with the BMW four pot and box, which I'm watching with interest

The trouble with looking at a crated Zetec at £600 to £700 is that you then need to start shelling out on some very expensive ancillaries, like throttle bodies; megasquirt injection system; distributorless ignition; custom exhaust; etc, and the final bill can very quickly get out of hand. That's fine if your funds are limitless, but mine aren't.

Oxford's really hit the nail on the head too - these old cast iron lumps might be heavy, slow to rev and have a low specific output, but they're full of character, easy to work on and mine was effectively free as it came with a donor that cost less than I got from selling off the unwanted parts on ebay!

So, assuming you have any, which I don't at the mo, you pays your money you takes your choice...