View Single Post
Old 21st March 2014, 16:10

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Catching Up - Part 2
Believe it, or not, but I'd never used a pop rivet tool before the other day, so I did a bit of testing and quickly got the hang of it.

I wanted to beef up the zip tie holders that can be used with just their sticky pads.

So I looked at fixing the rivets from either side to see what worked best.

This was the "after" and I quickly noticed a problem.

Both options left metal in the way of the zip tie itself, so I hammered one end flat.

This gives me the option of using two slots, or I could just use one slot with the rivet head in place.

Then I drilled the the four holes I need to hold the ducting and "Y" connector in place.

Plus one extra point for a zip tie to "guide" the heater control cable on its way out of the bulkhead.

Bulkhead:
The Triumph garage said that setting up the Smiths electric oil pressure gauge would be a piece of cake.

They also had no idea why the previous owner thought putting a gauge in the engine bay was a good idea.

This was good news, as I had already committed to the bulkhead holes based on wires, not pipe work.

Here are all the holes...

I did think about using a single patch to cover the three holes I didn't need.

But took a bit longer and welded in two smaller patches instead & gave them the usual treatment.

I also treated the last remaining areas of the bulkhead.

I just need to put some filler on a few places before I can prep this final section for painting black.

This marks the end of the bulkhead welding until I can re-fit this to the chassis.

Then I will just need to weld in two crush tubes and the bulkhead will be done!

Shopping Update:
I have being ordering a number of little things recently to help finish off a few areas:
- New rubber rings/seals for the original Spitfire dials where they meet the dash from Rimmer Bros.
- Some longer 170 amp rated battery cables to connect the cut off switch from Ebay.
- Some hose separators to use on the micro heater plumbing from Ebay.

To Be Continued...