View Single Post
Old 5th April 2014, 18:09

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky1mo View Post
To be honest I do not know and thing can get complicated .

The BMW engines use a completely independent engine loom which then joins the rest of the cars wiring via the fuse box and ignition.

I have separated this loom and using all the original parts re-wired it again as a stand alone unit.
That said some BMW have a EWS alarm/immobilizer system that need some work on the ECU wiring.

The Zetec "red top" is used in many track-day type kit cars so some body will know how to wire it up.

Hope this help.
tbh all I could find on the 'net was Marlin owners complaining that their BMW immobilisers were doing just that.

As for advice and guidance about what components to use to get a working ecu/ignition system during an engine transplant I found pretty much nothing of any use, with only the Westfield World Web Site engine comparison tool hinting at a possibility in its description of the Rover K Series VVC engine, stating Excellent budget engine as it can be installed with original ECU and plenum. Interestingly it also advises retaining its ignition key because of the immobiliser...

http://westfield-world.com/enginespecs_car.html

So can you just pull the motor out of a Puma together with all its magic wiggly amp boxes, dump the whole thing into a Herald chassis on a type 9 gearbox, make a few connections to the battery/earth, turn the key and drive off into the sunset?

Someone must know...