View Single Post
Old 28th April 2014, 18:09

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Mac - Thanks again for your kind offer.
Unfortunately, I need to do the coating in two stages around the bonding of the body shell (underside 'before' & inside 'after').
By doing the underside first, I'll have a better understanding of the roller vs. brush finish for the inside.

a big scary monster - Thanks for taking the time to join the forum to post your message.
I have always been happy for people who know more than me to make suggestions for my build.
So I'll have a look into the stone chip stuff as I know others have used it on their builds.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another Busy Day - Part 1:
I made sure I got all my chores done before lunch so I could take advantage of the dry weather forecast for the afternoon.

First job was to remove the body shell and then the rear framework so I could paint it.

There are a few bits left to paint on the frame, but I need this side to be dry, so I can flip it over.

With the framework out of the way I turned my attention back to the chassis.

I had bought a heavy duty 19mm drill bit which was marginally smaller than the crush tubes.

After expanding the 4 holes I'd already drilled in the chassis, I switched to a hand file for the final bit.

This gave me as close to a friction fit as my manual tools (& skills) would allow & all 4 tubes were in.

I marked the tubes and cleaned up the metal where I was going to weld them.

I also cleaned up the holes on the chassis & it was nice to see shiny metal under the paint.

As the rolling chassis is parked on a sloping drive, it is not easy to see what is straight.

So I used a "L" shaped ruler to keep the tube perpendicular to the chassis when I was welding it.

Don't ask me how, but I managed to blow apart the welding tip's shield.

Thankfully I had a spare, so soon all four tubes were welded into position.

Then I cut the tubes off with my angle grinder before cleaning up the top surface.

A quick spray of etch primer over the top completed stage one of this chassis mod.

I still need to drill 4 holes in the bottom rail of the chassis through these crush tubes.

At least by doing it this way mean I know the holes will line up.

End of Part 1....