View Single Post
Old 25th January 2015, 21:26

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road
Default Unexpected Visitor.

Having lost the last two weeks to MOT rectification on my ex wife's car, replacing half the braking system in less than ideal conditions, I resumed work on the Berli yesterday. I fabricated the new nearside 'B' post ready to install it today but ran out of MIG wire at the last minute. I reverted to stick welding, nothing wrong with that, but messier and not as quick/easy. Will post some pix soon.

This morning I welded the 'B' post in and buffed up the welds, I was about to break for lunch when a chap peered into the gloom of my garage, wondering what the angle grinding was about...

My visitor asked me what I was working on, he was very interested in the build. Much admired the rolled aluminium panels and the rest of the car too. He told me he was working on a similar project and that he had some experience of car building.

His name is Mark, from near Rugby. He was involved in the building of the Dunsmore - Jaguar specials of the early to mid 90's. Apparently they built about 15 of these cars, until DVLA decided they were a manufacturer. Being a manufacturer meant a big step up with all sorts of issues like crash testing and stuff, so they packed it in.

http://www.classicmotor.co.uk/dunsmore.htm

My visitor, Mark told me that sadly, Bill Hines the originator of the Dunsmore, passed away some years ago. He told me how they made the curves on the bonnet by tacking the panel to a welding bottle and rolling it on the workshop floor!!! All high tech stuff!

Bearing in mind my little workshop is tucked away in a very remote corner of Cumbria, I do attract some very interesting visitors. We had a really nice chat about interesting cars.