View Single Post
Old 20th June 2015, 15:46

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Gary - Well part of me thinks that there will be so much noise in a completely open car, that one more rattle wont be noticed.
Plus I spent so long repairing the rusty bulkhead that I am very reluctant to cut an access panel into the pillar in order to get the bit of file out.
So I'll leave it for now and have another think before the body shell is bonded onto the framework, which would limit my access options still further.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Micky1Mo & 8 Valve Ed - Luckily I am only 5' 8", so there is just enough room for me to fit based on previous test fittings.
By using the Spitfire bulkhead there is plenty of room for my feet, so I have no issues with access to the pedals.
The only slight problem is the angle of the lowered floor pans combined with the angle at the back of my seats means they only just fit.
I was actually hoping to sort out the holes for fitting the seats today, but it was not to be...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Another Token Gesture:
Almost 6 weeks after I put the covers, they were finally taken off today.

Then I removed the boot lid.

As this makes it easier for my wife and I to lift the body shell back into position.

Although one corner just wouldn't sit right and then I realised I had been a bit thick (again! ).

When I was painting the rear arches I noticed a bend in one small section, which I straighten out before painting.

As it turns out, I had previously bent this out the the way on purpose so one corner of the boot rain channel didn't foul.

So a bit of leverage was applied for the second time.

And now this corner sits nicely.

So with the boot lid back in place and the bonnet lowered, it was looking like this.

Scottie posted a photo of the gap under his "slammed" Spitfire the other day.

By comparison, I appear to have build an off road Le Mans car.

Note:
The small dent in the exhaust pipe was put there by the previous owner.

At some point I need to be brave and start work on chopping the bonnet sides & extending the body shell.

A bit like Micky1Mo's build photos above.

I've also got to sort out the rear edge of the bonnet, to match the profile of the scuttle.

But this is what the passenger side front wheel arch looks like now.

Not easy to see in the photo, but currently you can see the front edge of the bulkhead through the arch.

Unfortunately, by now the sky looked like this and I didn't want to push my luck with the weather.

So the covers went back on and I will have to sort out fitting the seats another day.

At least it now looks like I have a car under there.

Take care, Paul.