View Single Post
Old 11th July 2015, 07:30

8 Valve Ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by a big scary monster View Post
Did you keep on soldering the rad or get it re cored? You could always just badge it up as a mor9an or other British "classic" and drive it as is, it would probably be one of the most reliable on the road, don't forget this warm weather may be making you doubt the thermostat my diesel van runs 3 increments hotter this weather. Ed
Hi Ed, I just soldered it as in an earlier post, above. Nobody wants to re-core my rad because the headers have been created from flat sheet and they are just folded at the corners. As soon as you go near it with a soldering iron or a flame, the joints start leaking. I have had a quote for a complete new rad but it's a lot of money. Despite that I think I may well go down that route, on the whole I have been very miserly with the restoration, the radiator is key to reliability, especially with such a large engine so what I have saved during the build might justify the investment. I just want to have time to look at alternatives like perhaps a Series Land Rover rad to re-core, or something like that. Even a pair of tractor header tanks, which would be narrow enough. The max width is about 18" or 450mm, which by todays standards is very narrow.

The day I took it for the MOT must have been one of the hottest. It's early days yet, I need to live with it for a while and get used to it's ways.