View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:38

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Saturday - Part 2:
I attempted to fit the radiator and what should have been a simple job quickly went slightly pear shaped.

Initially the radiator wouldn't fit into the lowest (of three) fixing positions, as it fouled the bolt holding the radiator frame in position.
( Sorry, not a great photo and radiator is now propped up out of the way. )

So I had to swap both of these fixing bolts around, which gave me the room I needed.

Note: The scrape in the radiator paint was where the bolt caught it the first time I tried to fit it.

Sorry, another blurred photo, but at least the radiator was now in position.

I also have a new nose to replace this damaged one, but ran out of time to fit it.

Plus the shiny new radiator cap topped things off nicely too.

Thankfully I decided to lower the bonnet slowly so I could check the clearances as there wasn't any.

As I feared, the new radiator is both wider (good thing) and taller (bad thing) than the original.

!

At this point I can think of two possible ways of fixing this problem...

#1 Lower Radiator
- Cut and weld the original radiator frame mounts the way Scottie did.
- Adjust the cross braces at the top of the radiator frame so they reach the new lowered position.
- Add a header tank (I already have a Megane one) and the associated plumbing.

#2 Modify Bonnet
- "Cut & shut" a section of the bonnet so that there is room for the radiator where currently is it.
- Obviously Mister Towed & Swifty are just two of the people who have done this already.

Before I make a final decision I will have a much closer look at this to double check everything.

But as it currently stands, I think I will go with Option #2, as Option #1 is a lot more work (for me).

I also fear that with the radiator out of the way, the fouling problem would just switch to the the original fan.
( See left edge of photo above)

Again, I know I could replace the fan with an electric one, but I have too much work to do as it is.

Anyway, for now, I've just protected the radiator and bonnet with some cardboard.

Then after the car had been covered up and the tools put away I had to head to Sainsburys.

Where I was able to stock up with the BBQ stuff before started the food prep by marinating some turkey.

So by the time I was finally able to sit down with a beer it had been a very long day.

Right I've got to go, as there is still some more BBQ prep. work to do.

So until next time, take care, Paul.

PS
Here is a first engine start video from one of my favourite Rods 'n' Sods build, "Medusa".

Take 2 x Jaguar straight 6 engines and turn them into one home made straight 12 running on LPG!

The answer to "What could possibly go wrong?" is seen in the safety gear the builder is wearing.

https://youtu.be/euFDZmGUUCQ

Worth a watch for the clues to the final engine noise and the "bum shaking" victory dance.