View Single Post
Old 26th March 2016, 09:53

WorldClassAccident is on a distinguished road

I like the conversion you have done but my interior is already trimmed so the gaitor won't cover the washers etc so I am trying to think of alternatives. First can I share what understand about the mechanism to see if that is right.

1) At the bottom of the hollow gear stick there are some notches that the plastic shaft (or bolt in your conversion) get stuck against preventing you moving the gear stick out of Park.

2) The button on the auto knob or the washers on your conversion move the shaft/bolt up so it is no longer stuck against the notches and the gear stick can move.

3) When you let go of the button/washers the shaft/bolt drops back down and locks the lever in place again. There are no notches between Drive and the lower gears so even with the shaft/bolt in the lowered position you can slide between these gears but there is a notch to stop you sliding forward into neutral or reverse by mistake.

If these assumptions are true - please correct me if they are not - there are a couple of possibilities that spring to mind.

A) Remove the shaft and just hope I never hit Reverse when travelling forward. High risk but easy.

B) Fix a shaft / bolt to to bottom of a nice heavy manual gear know and then simply lift it over the notches allowing the weight to drop it afterwards. Just need a heavy knob and some way of fixing the shaft to the bottom of it.

I will see what appears at the autojumble on Monday