View Single Post
Old 24th May 2016, 20:10

swifty is on a distinguished road

Mr T Thanks for the offer but i live over 200 miles away. I've fitted a brand new distributor with electronic ignition from H&H Ignition Solution and also replaced the distributor arm with a red one from the ignition doctor in case the insulation was breaking down on the blue arm that originally came with the distributor.

phil9 That may be something i will try but i was hoping to be able to use standard 95 unleaded.

garyh & Paul L Picture of the box in case you go looking in B&Q for the tiles.

IMG_6730.jpg

Not the most exciting picture but i thought if you could see the box then it may make it easier to spot the tiles on the shelves at B&Q.

Latest installment of the hot start saga.

Stripped the carbs off the car to check the float heights which were slightly to high, this would give a lower fuel level in the float chamber so adjusted to 17mm high. Then turned my attention to both fixed jet height's which were sitting too high, both jets were 75 th (1.9 mm) down in the carb body this would give a leaner mixture on start up. Knocked the jets down to 100 th (2.54 mm).
Took the car out for a blast (any excuses to drive her) returned home switched the engine off for 10 mins then started again flooring the throttle and hey presto the engine started, i must confess not as quick as when cold but after three to four revolutions so without tempting fate i think i may be getting to the bottom of the hot start problem.

IMG_6727.jpg

Picture shows the fixed jet which is the small round brass fitting sitting in the center of the ally carb body. The dash pot followed by the air valve with diaphragm attached is removed to gain access to the fixed jet.

IMG_6728.jpg

Checking jet height in relation to the carb bridge with a vernier caliper, this jet is 103 th, the extra 3 th in not a problem.

Something else i noticed after adjusting the fixed jet's was the exhaust does not pop as much on over run plus the idle mixture can be set correctly, prior to doing this adjustment the needle adjusters were screwed fully in (clock wise giving a richer mixture), were as now they are in a mid way position, this all adds up to being correct with the adjustments ive just done.

Well hopefully there is now light at the end of the tunnel but looking back i could of possibly saved myself some money if i had checked these two things first.

But as the saying goes "You live and learn".