View Single Post
Old 14th June 2017, 14:41

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Moving The Goal Posts:
The effort I put into sanding the area around the boot opening yesterday was pretty soul destroying.

As the original layer of etch primer really does not want to come off without a fight.

So last night I was seriously considering simply sanding down the top surface, rather than the whole lot.
( Figuring that most of the contamination from driving around would be absorbed by the outer surface. )

I woke up this morning with my hands slightly swollen and achy fingers, but then I saw the news.

That tower block is less that a mile from my mum's house and I dread to think what the final death toll will be.

When I stepped outside to start working on the car there was an acrid smell in the air that didn't bode well.

At which point the decision to be a bit more pragmatic about how much effort to put into prepping the car was an easy call.

I then had to test the stability of my block work when I realised I needed to remove the centre dash section again.
( As I forgot to tape up the holes from underneath when I removed the rear view mirror. )

The good news is that I was able to climb in and out without any issues.
( Well, apart from needing some steps to help me up that high. )

After spending a bit of time beard scratching I realised I couldn't seal off the cockpit fully.
( As I will need to climb in again to tackle the scuttle area over the dash. )

So I ended up with a mix of plastic sheeting and dust sheets.

Obviously, this is not ideal, but it certainly isn't the end of the world either.

There was only a little bit of sanding left to do on one side of this hump.

But everywhere else was just sanded down extensively, but not excessively.

Then everything was wiped down and a fresh coat of etch primer was applied.

End of Part 1…