View Single Post
Old 15th August 2017, 05:45

Paul L is on a distinguished road

WCA – I don’t have much experience, but here are my thoughts…

It doesn't fall apart

I hadn’t used bonding paste before I started my build and it is impressive stuff.
( Whilst I didn’t use the stuff in your link, I am sure it would do the job. )

Doesn't ruin the paintwork

Unlike fibreglass work, I was not aware of any significant heat build up when using bonding paste.
( But there is certainly no harm in asking the question. )

Is quick and easy too much to ask?

In a word… yes.

In a few words... I think it is the weight of the grille and the current gap between the bonnet and bracket that might be an issue.

What prep for the bonnet before trying to bond anything to it?

I would suggest the usual suspects of sanding down, panel wipe & tack cloth.

If you don’t want to follow Jag’s suggestion about top and bottom brackets, then I suggest you get some new fixing brackets made.

This is a very old photo of the brackets that support my bonnet when attached to the hinges.

What is easy to see is that there is only one fixing point on either side.

What is not so easy to see is that those brackets are attached to half loops that are bonded in around the hose itself.

So, ideally, your fixing brackets should have a much bigger surface that covers as more of the free bonnet space.

As the larger the area that you are bonding, the less strain there will be on the join.
( Jag also made a good point about drilling to get a better grip. )

It is only the heavy duty nature of your grille that requires some extra effort to secure it.

I was able to get away with a series of small brackets as my grille is very light weight by comparison.

Anyway, hope that helps and good luck, Paul.