View Single Post
Old 4th August 2019, 22:07
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Progress report....

Here's a few pictures of some of the things I've been doing in the garage of the last few weeks.

So in no particular logical order....

I finished running the cables and vacuum hose for the exhaust flap actuator.

Exhaust Flap solenoid by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

The exhaust flap vacuum is controlled by a small valve controlled by the ECU. I've mounted the valve in the rear corner of the boot just behind the rear lights. It then runs to the rear silencer box here...

Exhaust Flap vacuum hose by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I've also fitted a cheap fuel filter on the end of the fuel tank breather to prevent any dirt or dust getting back into the tank. It is probably not required but it didn't seemed right to leave the end of the hose open.

Fuel tank breather by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Taking another break from the wiring, I cleaned and painted the canshaft cover bolts and then refitted the camshaft cover with a new gasket and installed the coils' connection loom.

Camshaft Cover by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Then back to the wiring so I've made a start on the final assembly of the dashboard. I had one more hole to drill for the Speedo setting push button. I then gave it a clean followed by three coats of Autoglym resin polish to protect the surface and make it easier to keep clean.

Dashboard by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then prepared the warning lights. They came with screw terminals which seemed to have a tendency to work loose so I soldered the wires to the terminals.

Dash warning lamps by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then fixed them to the dash. Keeping the legends straight whilst tightening the back nuts was quite challenging,

Because of the thickness of the dashboard there wasn't space to use a lock washer under the nuts so after tightening as much as I could, I then ran a bead of super glue into the threads and around the nuts to stop them loosening through vibration.

A few weeks ago I had about 40 tasks on my list of things to complete before I can restart my engine.
I'm now down to 29 tasks so making progress!!

Another busy week planned next week with the grandchildren but I hope to make some more progress on the dashboard in my spare time.

....peter