View Single Post
Old 9th June 2018, 14:44

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

So, big box of parts arrived from Canley's yesterday so I'll be stripping down my Herald gearbox (ebay, 99p) and starting to rebuild it tomorrow. Should be interesting as I've never rebuilt a gearbox before.

If by some miracle I manage to rebuild the gearbox in a couple of hours I'll also refit the camshaft which has been reground by Piper cams to their 270 fast-road profile.

Timing the cam will have to wait until Canley's supply me with a rebuilt, unleaded cylinder head, which is currently on back-order (I believe they strip and build them to order).

Then with the rest of the day (!!) I might just get on with my work-in-progress rear deck cover -

Which, believe it or not isn't polished mahogany, but cardboard covered in parcel tape!

I also have a few little jobs to sort on a new acquisition for the summer -

...which was a bit too bouncy for my liking on the way home from collecting it, so new shocks are on order and it will also get fresh oil etc. It also has brake and clutch fluid the colour of West Country Scrumpy, so I will be bleeding the hydraulics and pumping fresh Dot 4 through everything before using it on the road again.

More later.