Thread: Running reports
View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2008, 21:34
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Peter
As you have already registered your car, I would guess you do not have to fit the Cats: would this only be necessary if you declare the revised age of the engine? - however, the lambda(spelling?) sensor is linked in to the ECU, so could cause problems if you don't
Your electric fan will still fit - you have much more room in the Sportster than the Cabrio and mine is mounted in a similar way to yours
What radiator/expansion tank do you have now?
The alternator has to be moved to the opposite side in the Cabrio - Marlin make a bracket, but don't buty it !- you learn by experience - It does not work with the original BMW alternator, and is designed for a smaller Lucas item. I have altered my bracket to allow the original to locate on the oposite side - Despite what Marlin tell you there is plenty of room
You may have to either cut the manifold and shorten it, or make a new intake elbow. Marlin recommend cutting the inlet manifold - drastic stuff - as in their Demo car, and Chris Cunliffe has done this too. Andrew Curtis preferred to make a new inlet elbow for his Sportster - I have photos - I can post it on my Flickr site if you are interested?
I think you'll need alot more than the odd concrete block to stop the wheels spinning!! - What a hairy motor you are going to have!!
Do keep us informed on progress
Regards
Mike
Thanks for the tips, Mike. I've got pictures of the Lucas alternator mounted on the other side but like you would like to re-use the BMW one if I can. I don't fancy cutting the manifold. I think i'll get the engine in and then figure out what to do. Any more pictures would be useful, thanks.
I'm also going to try to re-use the cats if they will fit under the car as i'm not sure it'll pass MOT tests without.
I think I also have something called a Secondary Air Injection but I think that is just to reduce emmisons after start up.
Did Marlin suppy your engine mounts or make your own? I wouldn't mind a picture of each mount next time your in your garage with your camera.

cheers

Peter