View Single Post
Old 19th August 2012, 14:19

BazMason is on a distinguished road

Micha, the points you raise about poor (in your opinion) workmanship is evident in all forms of motoring not just in Sammio/kit car ownership. The first car I ever bought was an MG Midget which looked ok on first appearance and even drove and sounded great, but it still had some major chassis faults which we not immediately apparent on roadside inspection. I have since owned a few Italian motors which although more modern were all bought second hand and I was fully aware that there may be stuff that needs sorting out even if the previous owner has stated that everything had been 'sorted'. Classic cars, of which the Sammio range are based on are, in the main, owned and repaired by enthusiastic amateurs and hobbyists this is one of the reasons why cars devalue and it is a major reason why I can afford to drive the cars I do. Look at the price of classics which are documented as being fully restored by a professional garage and those which are not.

I do not understand why your mate bought the car if he was so concerned about overspray indicating shoddy workmanship etc. He sounds like he knows at least a bit about cars so surely the old adage of following gut instinct should have applied?

What these cars enable is the ability to build a car to a standard that you are happy to drive. The forum provides an information resource where more experienced engineers are able to provide advice and in some cases their time to help out when problems arise or a task is beyond a builders skill-set. By having a build dairy/thread it also gives any prospective buyers the ability to look through and see the standard of build as it progresses. However, without doubt the best way to go about having one of these cars is to build it yourself to your own standards.

Constantly talking the marque down suggests that you have some sort of agenda against the company or individual.

(Just to add, I have no attachment to the company or any of its' products)

Last edited by BazMason; 19th August 2012 at 14:21.. Reason: Caveat added