View Single Post
Old 18th April 2022, 11:24

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Question Dilemma?

Today, at long last, my no. three son removed his single bed from the cave, allowing me access to my daughter's stuff stowed behind it. A couple of hours of sorting out, organising and re-stowing of said items had the newly swept cave fit for purpose again. Hurrah! The six weeks since my last post haven't been entirely wasted, as I made yet another twin swift nest box from the ply left over from the sparrow hotel. This I mounted with help (it's a two ladder job) last week.

Also in the interim, on a whim, I bought a Dutton Phaeton II minus engine and 'box as it was such a bargain and the front landing strip was looking lonely. Whilst pondering what the hell I was going to do with yet another kit car, I hit on the idea of passing on the Marlin and putting the 'Climax' engine and 'box in the Phaeton instead, which I'm certain is quite a bit lighter. It has the integral front wings and headlights which make it, to my eyes, quite ugly. These I would cut off, patch the holes with ally sheet, and fit Lotus Seven flared wings (I have access to a pair) and headlights on stalks to complete the look.

The question is, should I pursue my original plan or the new one? As my very first kit was a Phaeton II, and I've built a Marlin once already, I'm leaning heavily to the Lotus Seven-ish option.

Regards, Mick