View Single Post
Old 19th April 2022, 12:31

Paul L is on a distinguished road

The forum seems to be having trouble with posting some characters, so I have tried to remove them.

Almost back on the road
It is hard to believe that 28th May 2020 was the last time I took my car out on the road.

Unfortunately, the harsh reality of the last two years has pushed the car down my list of priorities.

Thankfully, my family have remained healthy and I have had plenty of real work during this time.

Post #502 above shows my home office, where I have been stuck for over 2 years now.
(With just 3 meetings in real life in all that time.)

As per my last post, I have just been pulling off the covers to at least start the engine.
(And drive the car back and forth on my driveway to stop the brakes/clutch seizing up.)

But, without regular driving, leaving the car outside is not ideal.

In fact, the last time I got in the car, I was greeted with spider webs.

Thankfully, I was able to throw a few hours at the car on Easter Monday.

Obviously, the first job was to sweep all the cobwebs out of the cockpit.

Then I changed the positive battery terminal, as I had previously over tightened the old one.

The new one is too big for the cable size, but it will do for now, while another new one is on the way.

Then it was back to trouble shooting why the front driver side indicator had stopped working…

Connecting the driver side bulb to the passenger side wiring worked.

Then, for the first time in almost two years, connecting to the driver side wiring also worked.

Now there has been a lot of minor tinkering with the wiring and connections in that time.

So, I actually have no idea either what the problem, or the solution, was.

Either way, I needed to keep the positive momentum going.

So, I swapped the rubber housing from this new indicator to the existing bulb holder.
(The original rubber had split when I was trying to fix the problem.)

Then I loosely refitted this to the car and checked it was still working.

Tighten up the bolts and refitted the lens.

Before remembering I had removed the bulb for safekeeping when tightening the bolts up.

After removing and refitting the lens, it was still working.

I moved the car onto the road, to give me a level surface to top up the engine oil and antifreeze.
(Still loving the fact that I made the bonnet hinges myself. )

Before giving the car a bit of a wash.

At which point, I discovered one of the boot lid drain holes was blocked.

Thankfully, nothing a bit of spare electrical wire could not free up.

And here she is.