View Single Post
Old 18th November 2008, 12:56
Enthusiast

MartinClan is on a distinguished road

Hi Jason

I am a (lapsed) electrical engineer so I should be able to answer some of your questions.

1. I hope you have the loom that came with the engine and ECU. If not you will need to get one.

2. I think that I would run both pumps from the same relay - I did that and it seems fine. In theory you should start the low pressure pump first then the high pressure one a few seconds after. This allows the LP pump to fill the swirl pot before starting the HP pump. But I don't think its really necessary.

3. I would always use colour coded cable. I culled most of mine from the old BMW harness so that the colours AND SIZES match the original. It's easier than working out what sizes you need.

4. Pretty much impossible to guess how much you need cause it depends on the location of the various components. You need to measure I'm afraid and then probably add 25%.

5. Make sure everything is protected with the correct sized fuses! Electrical fires are pretty commom in Kit Cars!

6. Use relays for the large consumption items, headlights, horns etc.

7. Loom tape is OK - but heat shrink is easier!

8. Your list to start her looks about right. I also wired up the alternator as some of the wiring is incorporated in the engine loom.

A couple of other things.

I found the company - Vehicle Wiring Products - to be cheapest.
Get some good tools - cutters, strippers and a decent crimping tool. A soldering iron can also be usefull
Plan your wiring routes carefully!
Use multiway plug and sockets to seperate the loom into three or four chunks. A lot easier to make the loom and easier to fix those little mistakes... Front, Middle (all the stuff in the dash area including the fusebox) and Rear. I also added a sepperate connector for all the dash wiring so that I can unplug the dash and wire it on the bench. One of my next jobs....

Cheers

Robin