View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:23
Kit Car Dreamer

martin butler is on a distinguished road
Default anyone else here own a charger?

mine has been on the road in in regular use now for the last three months ive still got to complete the interiour by fitting rear seats and carpets
i have been beset by a series of niggling problems with it, mostly to do with the fuel system but by a process of elimination ive now sorted it, it kept cutting out, would be ok for about an hour, then would cut out, then would run ,but cut out again , in the end i changed the fuel filter and re ran the fuel pipe so the fuel pump is gravity fed ,and guess what, it now runs fine ,the pipe is now above the engine and in the coolest place so that it does not evaporate the fuel i had to drop the engine out after a mounth because i had a oil cooler leak and i needed to change some pushrod tubes, whilst it was out i had the heads off, the barrels had been fitted with two of the pistons facing the wrong way so i refitted all four making sure that they ere the right way round and the ring gaps were spaced correctly
most of the attension has been on the body work, the drivers side dorr mostly, i have had to re inforce the bottom because the lock keeps on pulling the skins apartive sorted this by adding a new layer of fibreglass inside where the inner and outer meet and by pop riviting along the bottom edge the locking plate also has had to be replaced and reinforced where the striker is because that was pulling the lock through the body as you can tell ive been busy
but its not all doom and gloom, i managed to get it to a local car show in august and got very good coments on it, its still is not finished and wont be till early next year but my prority now it so get a basic demister fitted i still have the heat exchangers so i will be making up a pipe to go from those to a flexible copper pipe into the body, then through copper ,or ali pipes that jun along the botton edge or the floor to the dashboard to swivel vents for demisting/ face level heat, by using copper pipes im hoping that the heat from the pipes will heat the car. i could fit a small fan at the back of the vents to obtain a forced air flow if anyone has done this on a beetle based car,any tips would be most welcome