View Single Post
Old 1st February 2023, 16:56

Mitchelkitman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanA View Post
I don't know what make/spec the current pads are. It seemed obvious to upgrade whilst replacing the discs. My Z300S has dimpled discs which I'd assumed were standard.
And there lies the difficulty - what info can we get about pads? What is marketing 'hype' and what is possibly downright dangerous (unknown brand?)
Some buy 'racing pads' thinking they are better - but are they suitable for the road? - they may not be very effective at all unless really racing so the discs are almost red (clearly not on the road). So softer ones are better for the road, but would quickly fail on the track.
I tend to buy brands I recognise, and the last pads I bought were Ferodo, from a recognised source. A late friend bought some 'never heard of them' brand from his local motor shop and if he did a couple of stops from 50 MPH they faded badly (no good from residents of Milton Keynes) He challenged the shop and they said 'we'll test them in our MOT bay' and of course deemed them to be good, missing the point entirely. I guess the drilled discs are to enhance cooling, but being drilled introduces other (albeit small) dangers. I'd suggest any benefit is marginal for the extra cost, and better spent on good pads (back to our unknown though )