View Single Post
Old 15th February 2014, 11:05

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie22 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks Drummajor, your Mot man was correct, and I will make some provision so I don't get hit the same way!

That's what I love about this forum, answers to all the problems!!
Unfortunately some MOT testers are just pedantic A-holes who can't think for themselves.

What I did was found a local tester who had a rolling road and a selection of modified/classic cars waiting to be worked on. I had my tin top car mot'd there and broached the subject of him mot'ing my Spyder while he was doing that. I talked him through a few of the idiosyncracies I'd built in to it, like the single, central rear brake light and the fact that you have to put some revs on to get the indicators flashing fast enough, for example, and really got him interested in the concept.

When I showed up in the Spyder he loved the car and ran it through the test with a sympathetic eye. It failed, but only on a couple of genuine, minor issues - a leaky rear brake cylinder and a split steering rack gaiter. It then passed easily once I fixed those two issues.

From reading the quote from the mot guide above, it looks like it was written to ensure that the seat locks in place if it's adjustable. There should be allowances made for the fact that not every person in the human race can drive every vehicle, after all, if you've ever driven an old Land Rover and you're taller than 5'6" then you'll know that the range of adjustment in the driver's seat goes from too close to the steering wheel to far too close to the steering wheel.

My dream car was always the Porsche 718 RSK, as driven by Sir Stirling Moss (built like a bulimic jockey), but I found I couldn't drive it when I had the chance to have a go in one (GP Spyder), because my upper leg was too long to be able to get my left foot on the clutch pedal with the seat fully back. Should that be an mot fail?

Anyway, best advice is to shop around until you find an mot tester with a brain.