View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:16

davecymru is on a distinguished road

Not exactly

I tried starting it but got no-joy and I spotted a few things that needed addressing. So, in the spirit of this build, I'm not messing around and i'm going to address them properly.

The story so far....

I have replaced the plugs, leads, distributor cap, rotor arm and coil.
I've now fitted one of those "in distributor" electronic ignition kits.
I've picked up a new timing light and I've tested the wiring is all working and I can see that i'm getting sparks. But it was being, what is technically known as, a bit of a bugger!
So...
The carbs are now off as they were the pime suspect and were also leaking slightly, so they are going to be stripped and inspected as i suspect the starting problem is a mix of crud from the new/old fuel tank and the floats not being set right.

The exhaust manifold was also blowing slightly, as when i refitted it i just reused the old gasket (i know, i know), so the manifold is now off and I'm waiting on a new gasket from messers Rimmer.

At the same time as all of that......

I have now filled and bled the clutch.
I also tried to bleed the brakes but the bleed nipples on the rear cylinders (the bits I'd not changed!!) were seized solid so I've replaced both the rear brake cylinders and now have a fully bled brake system

I've also run all of the wiring for all the rear lights (brake/stop, indicators, numberplate light) and they have been trial fitted and are now all working.

I've also run the front wiring and i've removed any excess extensions (i.e. for dual lights) and the horn has also now been trial-fitted, tested and is working.
I've also wired up the fuel gauge and that is working.
(i find wiring quite relaxing!)

So i'll sort out the Carbs hopefully tonight and then the manifold tomorrow night and then everything can be rebuilt on Wed and try again!

The lesson from this last week is - the bits I've assumed didn't need replacing, did!

Although on a positive note, the way things are going, when i do come to fit the body, i will already have everything mechanical and electrical in place and working, which is one thing i did want with this build