View Single Post
Old 8th September 2012, 08:30
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Royale Sabre - Take two!

OK, so this is the build log of my plan to rebuild this forlorn Royale Sabre to the glory it deserves.

OK, so here it is.... by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The history is a little sketchy but the chassis was made in September 1994 by the Royale Motor Company. It is a John Barlow design and according to the A-Z of Kit Cars by Steve Hole, the Sabre was launched in March 1994 and I appear to have chassis number 14, so quite an early example.
(Note: I later discovered it came with the wrong VIN plate and my chassis is in fact Sabre No.7)

The donor car was a 1992 Ford Sierra Sapphire GLSi but the original engine was frost damaged and has been removed before I got the car. It seems to have been built to a high standard but has not been stored in the dry, so has badly deteriorated in places, but nothing that can't be addressed.

The first job was to give the exterior a through clean up to get rid of the last 10 years of muck and dirt.

Washed by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Rear View by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The next job was to empty and sort out stuff in the boot.

Boot full of rubbish by marlinpeter, on Flickr

This left me with a sack full of mouldy rubbish, a box of scrap metal and some very useful bits including the original grill, front bumpers and a 'Royale' emblem.

Good stuff by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The next job was to strip out the seats and all the mouldy carpets which have been stored as templates for later reference.

Carpets by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Carpets and seats stripped out by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I have also removed and stored the hood cover (which incidental stores neatly behind the seats when not in use.)

Hood cover and front rail removed by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The next job is to remove the seat belts, hood frame, lights and then start on removing the loom. (Unless I find something more interesting to do!)

...peter

Last edited by peterux; 17th October 2016 at 20:23.. Reason: fixed pic link
Available from eBay