View Single Post
Old 6th January 2019, 08:19

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Deni – No worries, as Jerome/Rob’s use of a roller on his build inspired me too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

With hindsight, my top lessons learned from hand painting my car are:

Buy twice as much paint as you think you might need as a single batch.
- Due to some bad paint reactions and other problems, I ended up running out of top coat.
- Then the small extra tin I bought to finish the job was a slightly different shade of BRG.
- So I then had to buy even more paint to get the same colour all over from a single tin.

Use paint that is something like Rustoleum or the narrow boat stuff, rather than the synthetic paint I used.
- As whilst the synthetic paint went on shiny using a brush, it didn’t look as shiny when sanded back flat.

Use a proper polishing machine (see JaguarTVR’s suggestions on my build thread).
- As the problems I had with sanding back may have been made worse by using the wrong tool.

Try to avoid painting during the hottest summer since the legendary heat wave of 1976.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The fact you have a garage to do the painting in will be a big help and should make your life easier.

As the fact I need to cover my car with a tarpaulin is making a real mess of my paint.

Overall, the fact my paintwork is less than perfect doesn’t stop my enjoyment of the car.

Good luck, Paul.