View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2015, 16:36

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Project Review - Part 5:

June 2014 to September 2014
A real turning point in this build came when I finally accepted that the original Cordite body shell was not worth saving.

By now I'd discovered that the outer door skin and inner door panel were barely held together with some old chewing gum*.
( * OK, it might technically have been something else, but whatever it was, it certainly wasn't doing its job. )

So the simple decision to seal the doors shut was made.

At this stage I was still impressed that my fibreglass work actually held the doors in place when all the brackets were removed.

BUt I certainly got a lot more practise working with fibreglass after "The Wembley Angle Grinder Massacre".

The whole scuttle section was the first to go.

Which left the body shell & bulkhead looking like this.

Then the whole rear of the shell was cut in two.

Whereas the driver's side just needed a "slice" cut off

By the time I was finally able to get primer over the body shell, I'd also added an extra aero hump on the passenger side.

I'd build a completely new scuttle from scratch and added a wind break "lip" for my aero screens.

And there was now little evidence that the car was supposed to have doors fitted.

Again, even just seeing the body shell in one colour at this stage was a HUGE boost to morale.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

April 2014 to May 2015
I first welded some crush tube into the chassis for the frame work to bolt through in April 2014.

But it was only last month that I finished the final adjustments on these and could call that job done.

Another big step forward for this build was agreeing with the DVLA that the bumper brackets could be removed from the chassis.

The only down side, was this revealed a rusty mess on the chassis that needed to be repaired.

Copying Mister Towed's design, allowed me to make bonnet hinges that actually worked!

This was another landmark stage of my build and, even now, I still get a kick out of opening the bonnet.

End of Part 5...