View Single Post
Old 24th March 2016, 19:40
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Propshaft

Now my engine and gearbox are mounted in their final positions I could turn my attention to writing a specification for a propshaft. This needed to have a suitable flange at the front to match the BMW gearbox and a standard four bolt flange to match the Ford Sierra diff at the back. Royale specified a 2" tube to allow the 'shaft to be removed through the top of the transmission tunnel. Alternatively, you have to remove the engine and gearbox to get the propshaft out. I hope I will never have to replace the propshaft in my lifetime but I still wanted to retain the ability to remove it without taking the engine and gearbox out.
I sent my spec to four suppliers and made my decision based on the quality of their response and price. Bailey Morris and D&F (Dunning and Fairbank) both raised an eyebrow about building it with a 2" tube but when supplied with with further details about the gearbox, diff, tyre diameter, etc they both confirmed that this would be safe up to 85mph cruising in fifth gear.
In the end I chose D&F who were very helpful, knowledgeable and came back with a keen price.
It arrived last week and I'm very pleased with the quality and finish.

Front end is a flange to match the BMW gearbox. Sliding joint to allow variation in length under acceleration.
Propshaft by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Final drive/diff flange to match Ford Sierra diff.
Propshaft by marlinpeter, on Flickr

Propshaft bolts fitted.
Propshaft bolts by marlinpeter, on Flickr

These M12x40mm cap head screws just fitted past the yokes without any modification.

This bolt needs to be fitted through the flange before offering it up to the gearbox.

And, I had to modify one of my allen keys to fit the bolt that is opposite the U/J.

All in I'm very pleased and would highly recommend D&F propshafts.

...peter