View Single Post
Old 9th December 2013, 08:44

Paul L is on a distinguished road

DonnySoutherner - Welcome back Simon, I often wondered what happened to you & your build.

As requested, here are my build highlights from the last 12 months...

Dec.12
- Managed to restart the engine which was great for morale

Jan.13
- Cut holes in the bonnet for the headlights & grille
- Discovered my optional seat belt mounts fouled the bodywork
- Played with front indicator & rear lighting layout options
- Started the beard scratching process about how to fit the doors

Feb.13
- Had first welding lesson
- Made and test fitted a battery box similar to your build

Mar.13
- Discovered the doors were junk as they came apart in my hands
- Bought a complete Spitfire body shell for the price I'd been quoted for just the rear arches
( I'd been on the look out for rear arches to copy that idea from your build for a while )
- Thanks to AndyP57 I took delivery of my final missing kit parts & some upgraded floors

Apr.13
- Removed a large section of the Spitfire body shell & test fitted the Cordite bodywork on top
( As Ribble had attempted to do this in a similar way to the Tribute A352 kit "next door" )

May 13
- Removed all of the Cordite framework and test fitted Spitfire shell & Cordite bodywork to the chassis
- Eventually abandoned this idea completely and opted to use the rear arches as originally planned.
- Then I came up with a Frankenstein build, which involves bolting the Spitfire bulkhead to the Cordite rear frame.
- This solved all the problems with pedals, steering column, foot wells, dual line brake master cylinder (after making a recess panel), etc.
- Started modifying the Cordite rear frame to take the new floors & rear arches
- I also made seat belt mounting brackets and welded them to the rear frame

Jun.13
- Rear framework was now complete
- Started modifying rear arches to fit around the framework so I could keep the hand brake panel intact
( This is a slight variation on the way you did it, a lot more work, but should be good )

Jul.13 & Aug.13
- Left my job and took some time off to re-group and take an epic family holiday to Florida

Sep.13
- Finished the rear arches
- Finally fitted the rear spring lowering block

Oct.13
- Test fitted the rear frame, rear arches & lowered floor pan "combo"
- Finally worked out that the original Cordite body used a Herald bulkhead, which was why stuff didn't fit properly
- Then had a "vision" that said rather than cut the bulkhead to fit the bodywork, I should cut the body to fit the bulkhead
- Started repairing the Spitfire bulkhead & found out it was a 1972 MkIV, not a 1500 as advertised

Nov.13
- Learning the hard way how to make repair panels & weld the bulkhead back together one step at a time

Dec.13
- Still working on the bulkhead, did I mention it was a rusty piece of junk?

Writing a quick summary like this makes me realise just how much work I have put in.
I know I still haven't reached the bonding the body to the framework stage yet.
But I have been down a number of blind alleys and struggled to make sense of it all at times.
The bulkhead restoration isn't really Cordite building as such, but it will be a big help in the end.
I have also learned a lot which should allow me to do all the other jobs the build needs.
Like fitting my new micro heater & modifying the dashboard which are next on my list.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Michiel - Cheers.
There is still a lot of work to do on the bulkhead, but the end is within sight.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hopefully I will get a chance to play with the bulkhead later on, as I am on sick child duty at the moment.

Take care, Paul.