Thread: Dutton Dementia
View Single Post
Old 13th January 2024, 12:50

Mick O'Malley is on a distinguished road
Default Progress Made :)

Once the festivities were over, I took the head to Imp Guru Mark Maynard who gave the casting the thumbs up, then stripped it down as I watched, persuading me of what needed replacing with new as he went. The considerable expense involved (supply and fit) will only need to be stumped up once my job gets to the end of the queue - not a problem as there's so much work for me to do on the project before firing up time eventually arrives.

I went and saw my MIG/TIGmeister on Monday and booked a 'foreigner' slot for Friday. The three intervening days were filled with much flap wheeling of the mating surfaces of metal and ensuring the rig, as shown below, was roadworthy.

The 12 mile morning trip to the workshop was uneventful, and work commenced with assembly of the engine mountings and the seat belt rear mountings frame. Once these were done attachment to the frame began. I popped the headlamp bowls on to draw the eye to their mounting stubs as seen below, together with the shiny new engine mountings. Some of the many many plug welded rivet holes are also visible.

This shows the 'virtual engine' sitting comfortably on them - a big relief that my measurements and design had been OK!

This last one shows that the seat belt mounting measurements were slightly generous , the upside down frame just snagging on the leaf springs. About a centimetre lopped off the errant outer ends will correct this.

Lots of flap-wheeling, de-greasing and painting of the frame are my next tasks.

Regards, Mick

Last edited by Mick O'Malley; 13th January 2024 at 12:54..