View Single Post
Old 15th February 2022, 16:20
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Inching forward.....

I've now completed the installation of the second remote door lock.

But...
I had noticed that the coolant level in my reservoir had been dropping slightly and initially I thought it must have been an air lock in the heater that had cleared. But then it dropped again so time to investigate and I found coolant around and below the radiator cap. I ran the engine up to temperature and sure enough it was leaking from the radiator cap, especially after you switch the engine off as it cooled down.
Upon investigation the metal spring under the rubber seal has lost it's springiness so it is not making a good seal under pressure. It appears that the temperature has annealed the spring which is not good as I have only run the engine about a dozen times.
The faulty cap on the right is made by Aeroline and is to be avoided. I've replaced it with a Quinton Hazell cap and hope this one lasts longer.

Faulty Radiator cap by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Another little job......
I've never heard of anyone failing their IVA on wiper arms but these stainless steel blades and arms do have some quite sharp edges so I've covered them with a short piece of clear PVC hose. 5 minute job to avoid a potential issue.

Wiper arm cover by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Next up, I'm making some panels which will cover the ECU that is mounted in the passenger footwell. These will be sealed and covered in carpet.
Here's the first panel.....

Under dash panelling by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Until next update.............

.............peter