View Single Post
Old 6th January 2009, 12:22
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Peter
Have you investigated how the M52 will sit in your Sportster engine bay across the width? I know Andrew Curtis had problems with the M50 even though the Sportster is wider than the Cabrio. He chose to make a special glass fibre elbow:
Mike
Hi Mike,
no, not yet. That's something for the future....
Currently i'm trying to make sure I can get it to run electrically! Then i'll be looking at the alternator mounting, coolant plumbing and thinking about the exhaust system.
I've got the e36 engine brackets from Marlin now, so I guess I could now bolt them on and take some measurements. They will give me some good datum points to take measuremnets from. Not yet sure if the fancy M52 manifold i've got sticks out less or more than the M50 that Andrew has in his. I could ditch the M52 manifold and semi-electronic throttle body and fit an M50 with manual throttle but I'm a bit worried that will confuse my ECU. And the M52 ECU's have different type of connectors to the M50's so all starts getting a bit complicated!

I want to make sure I have (potential) solutions to all the issues before I start the transplant operation. If the weather does ever turn warmer again I want get some more miles on the clock and I don't want the car off the road for too long.

First step is the electricals. I have a 'cunning plan' where I am going try to simulate running the engine whilst still on the engine stand.
Watch this space.........

Peter