View Single Post
Old 27th September 2017, 06:48

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Lucky – It is complicated, which is why people should contact the DfT ASAP with any concerns they have.

These are some quotes from their draft guidance:
” If the keeper of a vehicle of more than forty years old is uncertain about whether the vehicle meets either of the two criteria, then they should seek professional advice. For example, the advice of a qualified mechanic or a historical vehicle expert…
…If you buy a vehicle, we also recommend checking with the previous owner if you can.”

Therefore, the onus is definitely on you to back up your declaration that your car meets the new VHI class for MOT exemptions. So an answers of “I don’t know”, or “I can’t prove it one way or the other” will not back up a VHI declaration and you will require an MOT.

I take all the previous points about getting an MOT anyway, but one concern over on ”Rods ‘n’ Sods” is that is the VHI class could be used/extended to more than the MOT exemption in the future. Either with congestion charging and low emission zones only allowing exemptions for VHI vehicles, not just “old” cars, or with a new tax on “old” cars that are not VHI.

Cheers, Paul.