View Single Post
Old 14th August 2018, 19:40
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default A little exhausted......

Thanks Molleur, Barber and Amir for your feedback and I'm glad you all enjoying my updates.

However, it appears that my meticulous rebuild overlooked one vital item. It's been highlighted by Mike, (builder of the superb Marlin Cabrio documented in the Marlin section of this forum and BMW e36 aficionado), that I should have replaced the clutch lever pivot pin. These are apparently a common failure point on the e36 and can result in a very difficult clutch engagement position.
It means that I'll have to separate the gearbox from the engine again, but i'd rather do this now while the body tub is not in position.
But more on that next time........

I've only been able to spend about half a day on the car this week and I tackled the clean up and refit of the exhaust manifold. With hindsight it would have been easier to this while the engine was on the engine stand.

First, I had to replace the 24 exhaust manifold studs. They are an unusual size of M7 so you have to get genuine BMW studs.

Exhaust manifold by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

I then cleaned up the manifolds with a wire brush and scrapped off the old gaskets. They were then refitted with with new copper coated lock nuts and new gaskets. I used a smear of Copper ease on the studs and the nuts were tightened up to the specified torque of 20Nm.

Exhaust manifold by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

Until next time, enjoy your builds...........

...peter

P.S. I found this interesting report of a Royale Sabre in Russia!!

https://www.retrorf.ru/royalsabre

(You'll have to use your web browser to translate unless your fluent in Russian )