View Single Post
Old 26th January 2012, 11:52

seanick is on a distinguished road

Psyco Pops has hit the nail on the head.

You can get away with anything until it all goes wrong big time. Insurance companies try and wriggle out of anything to avoid paying out. Its their standard policy. If you do not make them aware of any changes at all you are not covered.
If you have an accident and its your fault and you injure someone, then the claim may run to hundreds of thousands. When the insurance company examine your mangeled wreck (which they will, I assure you) they will be looking for any reason not to pay out. If you dont tell them you have non standard wheels, modified suspension or even tinted glass they will use it as a lever and not pay out. Trust me, been there done that.
I have a Morris which is heavily modified. For the last 16 years I have to fill in a 5 page form listing every little detail that is non-standard, from bodywork, suspension, engine, exhaust etc etc. Its a pain but I know at least I am covered properly. The premium is £180, ie double that of the standard Morris but hey ho its tax free.

So by all means get it registerd correctly, modifiy it to how you like but tell the insurance company or you will pay the price when it goes tits up on a wet B road.

Lecture over!