View Single Post
Old 13th February 2017, 18:08

Jaguartvr is on a distinguished road

No pictures today because some numpty put his camera in the boot before fibreglassing it closed. Doh!

My boot lid hangs over the rear panel by about a cm. I had put a slice previously and re glassed it when it was clamped with a couple of ratchet straps but it didn't make much difference.
I came to the conclusion that it may be down to the fact that I have opted for the far superior and better looking internal boot hinges! Nobody else has reported any problems in this area. I took the belt sander to the lip on the top of the boot and levelled it all up plus a bit more so I could try and move the boot lid back to try and make it sit flush at the back. Again a small improvement but no enough.
I then covered the bottom of the boot ld with duct tape to prevent GRP paste sticking to the lid including the return. I then did the same to the closing section (where the striker plate sits). trimmed it of fish to the bodywork. I then built up the rear body section with GRP paste using the lower section of the boot as my guide. Just before it went hard I ran a stanly knife along the join.
It has worked pretty well and now the rear body has exactly the same profile as the boot lid and it has also given me a much better closure gap.

I also built up the passenger door skin to close the gap at the top to allow the fitment of s window rubber.

This gave me plenty of time to continue sanding the rest of the body shell because the GRP took ages to go off due to the cold even though I had put extra hardener in the mix to help it go off.