View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2014, 20:13

swifty is on a distinguished road

Been away so only made a small amount of progress since the last post.

IMG_4423.jpg IMG_4427.jpg

Brake caliper stripped ready for reassembly with new seals etc, had to replace one piston as it wouldn't come out of the bore, Had to weld a bar onto the piston and pulled it out that way. A good tip if the caliper is off the car as mine was is to use a grease gun with a grease nipple screwed into the caliper where the flexi hose screws in and place a bar between the two pistons (red line in second image shows where bar goes) so that when one piston jacks out it hits the bar and transfers all the pressure onto the piston still in its bore.

IMG_4429.jpg IMG_4430.jpg

Caliper's re-assembled with new pads etc and painted with heat resistant paint. The second image shows the dust shields made earlier which i have coated in a layer of laquer for good measure.

IMG_4431.jpg

Another major step is achieved by fitting the temp front wheels, only have to finish the rear axle and then its a rolling chassis, its then time to fit the engine and type 9 gear box so i can work out how to fabricate a new gear box mount. Not sure if i will use the ford mount or go along the lines that triumph used on the spitfire with two rubber bobbin mounts angled in towards the drive axis point, after talking to mate who works in Jaguar design apparently this is the better way to have the mount load points pointing in the drive axis center.