Thread: Kerb weight
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2014, 14:05

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford1360 View Post
Pretty sure that Mr T has had 602 on a weighbridge.
Yep, there's a VOSA weighbridge half a mile from my house and I know the manager, so he was happy to let me queue up amongst the HGV's. My straight six powered Spyder is 680kg's with a full tank, about the same weight as the fuel tank of the truck that followed me onto the scales...

I've now fitted early Spitfire 150lb front springs cut down by one coil. Coupled with an uprated front arb, these have massively improved the ride and handling and have preserved the stance I like too. The 150lb springs weren't easy to source but I reckon the Mk iv/v 180lb springs would be fine. Anything harder might give you faster lap times on the track but will make the car more difficult to drive on the road as the front wheels will hop off the tarmac instead of riding out the bumps. The thing with tyres is that if they're not touching the road they can't be gripping it.

I also read that the lower 'A' arm should be parallel to the ground for best results. I achieved that by cutting half a coil out of the 150lb springs but found that the nose went very light at relatively modest speed (about 50mph) making the car wander around and needing constant steering correction.

Cutting another half a coil out completely cured that issue and has left the lower 'A' arm rising slightly up from the chassis towards the wheel. I've driven over some pretty rough roads round here and have suffered no bump steer or bottoming out of the suspension so I'm happy with the result.

Good luck with your setup, I wouldn't get too technical with it, trial and error will give you the results you're looking for easily enough.