Thread: Springs
View Single Post
Old 7th April 2015, 20:55

Mister Towed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTin View Post
Wouldn't cutting them down make them stiffer, though?
I'm wondering if I should go for a lower spring rate as I'm only putting the Spitfire engine in, which is obviously lighter.
Faulkner Springs do a 140lb spring of 10 1/2" open length (compared with Triumph's 12.2") for 25 quid, which seems fair to me. Saves me cutting a spring!
What did you do on the rear, in the end? I know you said you had a lowering block, but then took it out. Did you take any leaves out? If so which ones?

Cheers,
Martin
The Faulkner springs sound to be just about right for a spitfire engine imho, and yes, shortening the originals does raise the spring rate, but I have a cast iron six for them to carry about so I don't want them to be too soft.

At the back I ended up removing all the loose leaves at the top of the stack plus one leaf from the next stack down (the ones that are usually clamped together). With that setup bolted straight down onto the diff (with no lowering block) I found the ride height and ride quality to be spot on for my car. The traction and handling also benefited as the rear tyres stay in contact with the road instead of hopping about all over the place. I'd recommend putting the studs into the diff with a bit of Loctite on the threads and secure the spring with new nyloc stiffnuts as it's likely to work itself loose otherwise.