View Single Post
Old 5th November 2018, 12:13

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Molleur – Thanks.

I got a lot of inspiration from following build threads and then seeing the cars on the roads.

So I hope that I am doing my bit to encourage other builders to keep chipping away until they are done.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Marc & Jag – The following is just my interpretation of the VHI rules, so here goes….

With a 1980 donor car, I have to wait until April 2021 before I can apply for VHI status/MOT exemption.

But I can see no reason why my particular car would not qualify for VHI in 2021, as it is about:

“the technical characteristics of the main components”

These components are listed as chassis, axles, running gear and engine.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...anges-criteria

I have a stock Spitfire 1500 underneath and none of these components have been substantially changed.

As changing the bonnet hinge brackets does not count as a modification to structural integrity of the chassis.
( As confirmed by the DVLA via ACE – Association of Car Enthusiasts. )

My car does not qualify as either a kit car, reconstructed classic vehicle or kit conversion.

The bodyshell has no value within either the DVLA 8 point rule, or the VHI rules.

Which is why I was able to retain the original donor car registration number and avoid IVA.

Note:
As it currently stands, my insurance company requires an MOT, even if the car was a VHI.
Even if it didn’t, I would still put the car in for an annual safety check with my regular garage.

The key thing for me about VHI is that I believe that it will allow the car to still be driven in the future.
As my guess is that low emission zones will expand to ban all “old” cars, with exceptions for VHI.

But, as always, what do I know?

Cheers, Paul.