View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2017, 18:39

Paul L is on a distinguished road

Positive Steps - Part 2:
Then I fitted the aero screen for the rear view mirror.

Whilst painting the 'big washer' for this screen was a real pain, it has worked out very well.

Then it was time to see if I could restart the engine after the much longer than expected break.

With the car on blocks, I need some steps to climb in the driver's side.

I took the fact the ignition lights came on as a good omen that the battery cut off switch was doing its job.

But there was absolutely no sign of the engine even attempting to fire up when I first started turning the key.

However, I tried to be patient, as I knew the fuel line would be empty and it would take a little while.

But there was still no sign of life and I was beginning to wonder if I would end up draining the battery.

In fact, I was just about to stop when there was the first glimmer of hope from the engine.

So I waited a few seconds and tried again, sure enough the engine burst into life and a HUGE grin appeared on my face.

I stayed in the car until it was idling nicely with no choke, before I got out to take this photo.

Unfortunately, the blur of the fan blade is the only sign of life.

This really was a moment of deep joy and I could instantly feel my personal motivation being recharged.

The temperature gauge showed signs of life, but I'm either low on fuel, or the angle of the driveway is messing up the reading.

Either way, I will get some fresh petrol in a can and top the tank up before I drive to the MOT.

Next job was to thread the headlight wires through the shells and getting the rubber seal in place was hard work.

At this point I should point out that the boot lid was a bit of a mess when I looked at it in daylight.

But by the time I had applied some cutting compound it was looking much better.

I then added some polish.

Before cleaning out the holes and re-fitting the 'furniture'.

I know the paint isn't great at the moment, but I took great pleasure from just looking at the passenger side hump.

As I should keep reminding myself, that neither this hump, or the boot lid itself existed when I first got the kit.

Given all the 'leaps of faith' I had to take during this build, I am still amazed at how well if has turned out.

So until next time, take care, Paul.

Last edited by Paul L; 28th October 2017 at 18:44.. Reason: Typo