View Single Post
Old 4th February 2017, 08:50

Paul L is on a distinguished road

rochdaleGT - In fairness, I would have no hope of posting questions in German on a German forum.

But, even allowing for something getting lost in translation, I have to ask….

Why ask questions on a UK forum if you can not, or will not, understand the answers you are given in English?

As this is what winds people up and creates the impression you are nothing more than a Troll.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochdaleGT View Post
...i´m sure there is a straightforward rule in UK how such cars should be named…
Yes there is and I've already told you what it is, I even highlighted it blue in my previous post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
This was the official view of the DVLA that I was given...

"Please give the vehicle name you think best describes the vehicle"
So, unfortunately, you are completely wrong if you think there is an official rule to ensure a "correct" name.

Quote:
… unfortunately the registration / administrative process has to do with people who dont know the rules properly, nor their supervisor is checking them , hence they decide by interpretion, hence one car is named poppeye, the other one tom&jerry…
In this case, you are the person who doesn't know the rules properly.

Despite this, you are happy to insult both the people in the DVLA who are doing their jobs properly and their supervisors too?

There is no need for DVLA staff to use "interpretation", because builders are given freedom of choice (within reason) to name their car what they like.

So the reason similar looking cars have different names is that the UK rules allow this to happen.

Quote:
...who would be "hurt" if the cars would be correctly named after they have been converted from a "normal" triumph to a sammio/ribble/tribute or whatever?
nobody in UK, i guess? ....but it would help people outside UK to re-register such cars properly...
Unless someone is building a kit car specifically for the export market, why should they care about the rules of other countries?

As it is hard enough to make sure that we follow the rules over here to keep the car legal in the UK.

Similarly, I know there are cars for sale in other parts of the world that can not be imported and legally registered in the UK.

( For example a heavy modified American hot rod that would fall outside of the UK's 8 point rule. )

By your logic, I should be complaining on US forum that builders over there are not making my life in the UK easier.

I spent over 4 years building my car in difficult circumstance and absolutely love the fact I was able to legally register it as a Triumph Swordfish.

So I'm sorry if you think I am somehow being selfish by doing this, but in all honestly it has nothing to do with you.

And finally, just for fun, as I am frankly bored senseless by all of this nonsense…

Another reason your "correct" name logic doesn't work is because the UK rules allow multiple donor cars/parts.

For example, what is the correct name the following car?

It has the chassis from one of these:

One engine from one of these:

A second engine from another one of these:

The interior includes an old sofa:

The exterior body work includes part of a canoe:

This car is still under construction, but is shaping up nicely.

Thankfully, it will not be called "Austin/Jaguar/Jaguar/Sofa/Canoe/Other Stuff".

Instead it will simply called "Medusa" based on the LPG conversion pipework.

This car sums up all that is great about our hobby in the UK and I am glad our rules allow it.

I really hopes this helps.

Cheers, Paul.