View Single Post
Old 29th January 2018, 19:33
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinClan View Post
That stuff looks ideal as it remains flexible once cured (according to the data I read). One of the main problems and causes for failure when bonding dissimilar materials is their different expansion rates so a flexible adhesive has got to be a good bet.

Cheers, Robin
That was my theory and hope.

Looking closer at the steel parts I can see that the original parts were plated before they were painted black. (I don't know what kind of plating was used but it has a slight silver/yellowish tinge ). The paint scrapes off very easily. It appears that the body filler has adhered to the paint but the paint has come away from the plating.
So before refitting I abraded the steel surface with a flap disc in my angle grinder so that the PU sealant was in direct contact with roughened bare metal. I plan to paint any exposed metal after the PU has fully set.

I checked the first side this morning and the adhesive was a bit softer than I expected. I'm hoping it is still curing due to the low temperatures in my garage overnight so I'll leave it clamped for a few days.

Oh the fun of re-building an old kit!