Thread: Spitfires ?
View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:26

lancelot link is on a distinguished road

Right ....heres the first of the 'roughing out ' pictures...

We are a long way from finished but a good start I feel...

The shortening / adjusting of the body etc has given me enough of an idea of how she will look to feel confident to continue...

work so far is body shortened 7'' approx. This centres the rear wheel and puts the bulkhead in the same place as a Herald bulkhead in relation to the engine.
I am probably going to use a Herald bulkhead blended into the body and smoothed out. The bulkhead will be supplied as part of the body and the internal steel frame will be partially bonded in place at the front , I think !

Another interesting factor to come from mocking up is , due to the shorter body , IMHO , the wheels don't look too small. The 13'' Spit wheels have a bit of a Dunlop look and slightly wider or spaced versions , could work out ok....the other alternative is 14'' wires .....no need for 15's this time , I think.
We are going to make the arches slightly smaller to accomadate , not much , but a bit....ignore the front arch alignment in the side shot as well....it needs tweaking , but the car is on its way !!

I think I will need to do some working out on how to use this bonnet on existing Spyders , but it will become an option......

The cockpit shots show the cockpit stretch after the 7'' shortening....We have moved the dashtop forward 2'' inches and the rear bulkhead and head fairing have gone back about 5''

I hope the pictures show a work in progress and don't frighten anyone off !!

MIKES GRILLE SECTION UNDER CONSTRUCTION.....

REAR....

SIDE.....

COCKPIT TWEAKS...

I personally like the proportions , shorter body , shorter nose etc. it will look a lot different when the screen , arches , tailfin etc gets sorted....