View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2016, 20:00
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Pedaling along.....

I've been working on the pedal box and brake master cylinder mounting.

Before mounting the pedal box and brake master cylinder, I needed to clean up this area of bodywork. It was a bit of a mess from the original builders holes plus some holes I made trial fitting other types of brake servos. First I sanded off all the original paint and primer. I chamfered the holes and screwed a piece of MDF covered in packing tape behind the holes.

Brake M/C mounting area repair by marlinpeter, on Flickr

I filled the holes roughly with Isopon P40 fibre filler, sanded down and filled with Isopon P38 and then sand flat and smooth.

Primed and then filled some small indents with a fine surface filler. Then sanded flat with wet and dry and then another coat of primer.

I've mounted the brake master cylinder on a 6mm thick steel disc (from Lasermaster.co.uk). The holes for all the bolts are threaded so that I don't have to be Houdini and get to both sides at the same time. The bolts will be threadlocked in the disc during final assembly. There are three M8 bolts that go through the GRP bulkhead and connect with the Sierra pedal box. Longer m/c bolts will be used during final assembly.
The m/c reservoir isn't quite at the right angle but I think it will work OK.

Brake Master Cylinder mounting by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The pedal box is fixed by three M8 bolts through the bulkhead to the steel disc plus a single M12 bolt to the substantial scuttle bar. I need to replace that rusty rectangular spreading plate.

Pedal box mounting by marlinpeter, on Flickr

The pedal spacing is a bit weird so I've started work on cutting the clutch pedal to reshape it.

Pedal Spacing by marlinpeter, on Flickr

...peter