View Single Post
Old 30th October 2017, 20:30
Enthusiast

peterux is on a distinguished road
Default Engine removal trial.

Here's the second of my summer 'catch-up' updates to bring my diary up to date.....

Next up was to remove the engine for a partial recondition and spruce up.
I wanted to see if it was possible to remove the BMW from the Sabre without removing the central body tub. Once the car is finished it would be a huge amount of work to remove the body so I wanted to make sure it is possible to remove the engine should the need arise.

Firstly, I removed the radiator, exhaust manifolds, handbrake, propshaft, clutch slave cylinder, gearbox support, gearbox leaver, etc.
I decided to leave the gearbox bolted to the engine although for something like a clutch change it would be possible to drop the gearbox on it's own.

With the engine at the right angle the sump just clears the chassis with the clutch pipe on the bulkhead still in place. It was a very tight squeeze and removing the clutch pipe would have been safer. I did not need to remove the brake master, steering column or the servo.

Engine Removal Trial by Sabrebuilder, on Flickr

My unconventional BMW engine installation means that the sump sits behind the chassis cross member.
In this shot you can see the sump just clears the chassis with the engine and gearbox at an extreme angle.

The sump just cleared the offside engine mounting turret.

The trial was a success and the engine is out! Of course, my wings nose and bonnet are not fitted but I am now confident that the engine and gearbox can be removed with the wings and body tub still in place.

The engine and gearbox were then separated and the engine mounted on my engine stand for refurbishment.

More on that in the next few days....

....peter