View Single Post
Old 26th February 2013, 17:11

tlrtone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Towed View Post
Donor looks like it was great value despite the years spent under a tarp.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress. Are you going to have lowered floors in this one?
yes, the chassis was a good buy, and the bits of body I don't need were sold for the price of it, so it has cost me nothing so far!

And yes, I will be putting in lowered floors this time, although I am sticking with the same seats (landrover two-part) as they were extremely comfortable and lent themselves very well to hinging forward.
(( The storage behind the seats was a godsend for making the sammio more practical - popping down the shops, storing jackets, picnics etc- and so this one will have a similar mod. ))

I am hoping for good weather this weekend so I can get the chassis stripped for painting next week - another build on the driveway - the wife is soooooo looking forward to arrival of the circus tent again in a few months!

Mike's Miglia kit has a built in bulkhead this time, no more bonding problems around that this time, so I am hoping for a fairly quick build of around 3-4 months - weather and time permitting. Just in time for the scorching summer we are going to have.

Mike has also muted torwards a hard-top option, so I have put my name down as first on the list for one of those!

I won't be adding a stereo and speakers this time - never had it on as it was too noisy anyway, and took away from the enjoyment of listening to the engine.

Summing up my thoughts so far...
  • Swing spring conversion with 1" spacer block
  • 15" wire wheels (again - silver or black!)
  • rebuilt 1500cc Midget engine, with standard 13/60 recon gearbox and diff
  • Landrover seats (hinged backs to access storage behind the seats)
  • BMW E30 pedal assembly complete with servo and built in clutch m/c
  • 'teardrop' miglia bonnet - not the V8 upside down wheelbarrow
  • colour? not sure - quite fancy the Lancia D24 burgundy

The aim is to get it all on the road for this year with the standard engine and drivetrain - they are quick enough - and quite scary at high speeds anyway - not the road holding but the thought of being very exposed in a crash - quite sobering! then next year I want to do one with a V6 or V8 and associated drivetrain and improved chassis.

but as always, plans can change.......